Job: MTV Networks (US) – Manager Music & Media Licensing, Business & Legal Affairs
SUMMARY OF JOB
Manage and oversee the music and media licensing function of the home entertainment businesses for MTV, VH1, CMT, and LOGO and other ancillary business areas including the Record Labels, and Games. Negotiate favourable rates and secure rights for material (music & other media) included in programming/projects produced by these client groups. Train and supervise staff dedicated to these client groups under the direction of Vice President and Senior Vice President. Act as project leader on complex and high profile projects. Record, track and analyze rights information for MTVN Programming.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Handle clearances of third party materials, primarily master/blocking right waivers and sync for MTVN home video, record labels and digital, download-to-own platforms, in addition to other necessary clearances such as talent, stock music, mechanicals and photos etc. Handle royalty administration (for the records labels). Screen all videos prior to release to confirm that there are no clearance issues, along with reviewing all packaging, trailers, menus, added value and bonus discs. Maintain label & home video files and work closely with television team and new media team on clearing broad rights or exercising bump up options that have been pre-negotiated. Ensure all elements are cleared for programming/projects produced by the client groups.
- Build and foster good working relationships with client groups and within the licensing community through regular meetings and daily communication.
- Review, draft and revise agreements to conform to negotiated terms. Ensure that licenses are executed and paid in a timely manner through monthly follow-up efforts and communication with Accounts Payable and Finance departments.
- Maintain contract files for all assigned programs/projects and track relevant rights and restriction information.
- Regularly report clearance costs to Production and Production Management via tracking reports and over the phone/via email. Work closely with these areas and proactively suggest cost-saving options and alternatives.
- Assist Director, Vice President and Senior Vice President with special projects outside of the assigned area. Represent Music & Media Licensing in various production meetings. Participate in workshops for client groups.
- Support the MTV Games business as needed.
- Additional responsibilities include research releases for Radio client groups combined and advise client groups as to what rights we have and if they can use the material on their platforms, and clear material if requested. Secure and review guest releases for Radio talent. Make sure releases are input into the RMS rights database.
- Point person for MTV Books as needed, including researching copyright ownership and preparing written requests to copyright owners, and by researching rights to pre-existing MTVN material.
- This position supervises a Coordinator and freelance staff (when necessary) with respect to the various Program Enterprises Client Groups. The Coordinator also reports to the Ancillary Team Director on their other client groups. All staff and client groups are in the same location. This position does not manage a budget.
- Educate, train and develop team in regard to their daily workload and responsibilities including prioritization and delegation of workload.
- Be a visible and motivating leader within the department. Champion the company initiatives (e.g.; Diversity, First Choice Place To Work) and champion department’s own initiatives and goals. Be accountable and hold direct reports accountable for following through on goals and commitments made during teambuilding. Work to further develop managerial skills by participating regularly in management training opportunities.
- Troubleshoot daily issues and keep Director apprised of such issues.
- Disseminate new departmental procedures from Director to team.
- Develop employee potential through training and coaching.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Must function on an independent basis with little to moderate supervision. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- BA in Television, Film, Communications, Publishing, Business or similar preferred. Minimum of 4 years experience in television/music/entertainment field, preferably in a business affairs, rights & clearances, or licensing capacity. Must have 2-3 years experience negotiating and prior experience supervising and training staff is highly preferred.
To apply, follow this link: http://tbe.taleo.net/NA5/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=MTVNETWORKS&cws=1&rid=738
Other Readers also Read: