MySpace Music is recruiting for a Director of Business & Legal Affairs, based in its Beverly Hills, CA office. The Director will be a key member of the team responsible for the licensing of music content from major and independent record companies and aggregators, music publishers and performing rights organizations, for the company’s digital music service, both domestically and internationally. The position reports to MySpace Music’s Senior Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs. Among other things, the ideal candidate will have a proven track record in music licensing from working within the music business and a firm understanding of the digital media space.
• Provide full-service business & legal affairs support for MySpace Music’s domestic and international operations. Represent, advise and liaise with internal clients, including business intelligence & analytics/reporting, marketing, finance, operations, technical/engineering and sales departments.
• Negotiate and draft a variety of music-related contracts including sound recording, musical composition and public performance licenses, label exclusivity waivers, artist “live” performance/talent agreements, venue agreements, “live stream” production and sponsorship agreements, master recording and musical composition synchronization licenses, original web series production agreements and technical infrastructure agreements, among others.
• Analyze copyright laws and contracts and prepare memoranda which advise and make recommendations to Myspace and MySpace Music management. Provide advice on deal structures, business strategies and statutory and contractual compliance.
• Collaborate with Myspace and Specific Media in-house attorneys. Liaise with and manage external counsels’ performance of assignments (including conduct of litigation), advice, costs and response times.
• Identify, assess and inform management of legal and commercial risks / benefits. Recommend constructive solutions.
• Working knowledge of U.S. intellectual property laws related to music, including the Copyright Act, Digital Millenium Copyright Act, etc.
• Understanding of digital commerce, with an emphasis on monetization of digital music (both audio-only and audiovisual) content
• Familiarity with domestic and international performing rights organizations and licensing standards
• A keen interest in working in the digital music space
• Self-motivated and able to work independently
• Comfortable working in an entrepreneurial, dynamic, fast-paced environment
• Ability to effectively manage multiple, tight timeframe projects simultaneously
• Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
• Superior contract drafting skills with acute attention to detail
• Excellent communication (verbal, written and listening) skills
EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE:
• J.D. degree and admission to CA state bar
• A minimum of 3-5 years’ music industry legal and/or business affairs experience is required (preferably in-house with a major or major independent record company or a major digital music service)
Myspace LLC is a leading social entertainment destination powered by the passions of fans. Aimed at a Gen Y audience, Myspace drives social interaction by providing a highly personalized experience around entertainment and connecting people to the music, celebrities, TV, movies, and games that they love. These entertainment experiences are available through multiple platforms, including online, mobile devices, and offline events.
Myspace is also the home of MySpace Music, which offers an ever-growing catalog of freely streamable audio and video content to users and provides major, independent, and unsigned artists alike with the tools to reach new audiences. The company is headquartered in Beverly Hills, CA and is a subsidiary of Specific Media.
MySpace offers an exciting work environment with opportunities for career advancement, and a compensation plan that includes attractive base pay, bonus or incentive opportunities and a comprehensive benefit package. Please email email@example.com with “MySpace Music Business & Legal Affairs” in subject line to submit your CV. Due to the high volume of responses, we will contact you only if we are interested.