Universal Music Group Distribution has been the industry market share leader for the past eleven years, and handles the distribution and sales for such labels as Republic Music Group, Island Def Jam Music Group, Interscope Geffen A&M Records, Capitol Music Group, UMG Nashville, Lost Highway, Verve Music Group, Decca Label Group, Universal Music Latin Entertainment, Universal Music Enterprises, ABKCO, Concord Music Group, Hollywood, Emusica, Lyric Street, Rounder, Walt Disney, Big Machine, Show Dog Records, Sybersound, Hidden Beach, among many others.
Reporting to SVP, Marketing and Product Development for Universal Music Distribution, the VP of D2C eCommerce will focus on developing, executing, and maximizing all UMGD direct-to-consumer (D2C) sales initiatives. S/He will work closely with UMGD labels to evangelize and provide strategic and tactical support in the execution of artist based D2C programs. The VP of D2C eCommerce will also have operational oversight of UMGD’s D2C platform to enhance features and functionality and to ensure the customer experience is both efficient and simple.
– Manage D2C team based in NY and California
– Provide thought leadership and strategic vision
– Communicate the Mission and Strategy throughout UMG
– Establish business models and revenue targets to ensure positive ROI on initiatives
– Partner with Marketing and Digital departments to ensure successful product launches
– Oversee platform to ensure operational integrity and consistency
– Establish KPI’s and web metrics to ensure best practices and measurability reporting processes, and drive aggressive performance improvements through testing, tracking and data analysis
– Partner with Universal Music Logistics to ensure successful digital and physical product fulfillment
– Support UMGD labels on product definitions, best practices, and financial modeling
– Evangelize eCommerce innovation to ensure best-of-breed services
Desired Skills & Experience
– A passion and understanding for selling direct to end consumers
– Proven track record of managing an eCommerce platform at an entertainment product retailer
– Solid understanding of pricing and promotional strategies for both digital and physical products
– Well-rounded experience with e-commerce and web production, as well as traditional retail marketing and direct marketing experience
– Experience analyzing web metrics and how data is used to drive traffic sales
– Ability to translate business needs and analysis into product requirements and deliverables
– Excellent strategic thinking and management communication skills
– Bachelor’s degree in Business or Marketing, MBA preferred
Universal Music Group (UMG) is the world’s leading music company and is comprised of two core businesses: recorded music and music publishing.
The company discovers, develops, markets and distributes recorded music through a network of subsidiaries, joint ventures and licensees in 77 countries, representing 98% of the music market. UMG also sells and distributes music video and DVD products, and licenses recordings, encouraging the legal distribution of music online and over cellular, cable and satellite networks. UMG includes Universal Music Latin Entertainment, the world’s leading Latin music company. UMG’s publishing company, Universal Music Publishing Group, is the world’s leading publishing business; it owns and acquires rights to musical compositions and licenses them for use in recordings and related uses, such as films and advertisements. UMG also includes Bravado, its merchandising company, and Twenty-First Artists, its full service management division; and Helter Skelter, its live music agency.
Universal Music Group International is the division that manages UMG’s businesses in countries outside of North America.
UMG’s strength and legacy of music flows from a diverse family of record labels which include: A&M/Octone, Barclay, Decca, Deutsche Grammophon, Disa, ECM, Emarcy, Fonovisa, Interscope Geffen A&M Records, Island Def Jam Music Group, Machete Music, Mercury Records, Philips, Polydor Records, Universal Motown Republic Group, Universal Music Latino, Universal Music Group Nashville (which includes Lost Highway, MCA Nashville and Mercury Nashville), Universal Records South, and Verve Music Group.